terça-feira, 20 de janeiro de 2009

Charcoal Bag

Peter was a little boy that was constantly getting mad at his friends.
One day his teacher called his father and told him that the little boy was a handful, she told him how angry the boy was all the time.
Mrs. Savits was a peaceful and poor man, of huge humbleness and astonishing wisdom.
He worked at a small farm, far away from peter’s school.


One day Peter was playing with his toys and Mrs. Savits called him:
“Peter, come here please!” said Mrs. Savits with a smooth and natural voice.
“Yes dad.” Said little Peter.
“I’m going to gather the cattle; would you like to help me please?”
“Ok.” responded Peter.


Peter started talking about his friends at school, and how he was feeling up set all the time. Mrs. Savits listened carefully without interrupting. While they were heading towards the cattle, Mrs. Savits grabbed a charcoal bag, placed it next to his son, and said:
“Son, do you see my coat next to the fence?”
“I’d like you to imagine that my white coat is your friend, and that every piece of charcoal is a bad thought that you throw at him.”
“I want you to throw all the pieces of charcoal at my coat, and later on I’ll come back to check on you”.


Peter played the game and started his work. The coat was quite far from Peter, so only a few pieces hit the target.
An hour later Peter finished his task, his father returned, and asked him:
“Son, how are you feeling now?”
“I’m tired but happy; I hit a few pieces on your coat!”
Mrs. Savits looked at his son, and soon figured that Peter did not understand the reason for that game, and with a sweet and tender voice said:
“Come with me to you room please, I’d like to show you something.”
Inside the room, he is placed in front of a mirror where he can see all his body.
Peter got spooked; he could only see his eyes and teeth.
Then, his father tenderly tells him:
“Son, do you see… my coat is almost clean, but look at you…”
“The harm we wish to others is just like what happens to you.”
“We can try to harm others with our thoughts, but the entire residue stays with ourselves.”
After that day, Peter changed, and realize that he had become a better child.

1 comentário: